Monday, April 28, 2003

Originally 02/18/03
I started typing and this happened. I make no excuses, it's my fault. But be forewarned- I wrote it, it's about family. Read at your own risk.

The Wife said she wanted nothing for Valentine's Day. Yeah, right. There's a guilt trap waiting to be sprung, no matter how lovingly laid. I knew she wanted the soundtrack to 'The Majestic', but Best Buy didn't have it when we were there. After she went to work, and the snow storm had started, I went off to find one.

Went to Barnes&Noble, because they have have some odd stuff. Didn't have it. But they did have stuff by the guy named on the DVD. But seeing his CD it was obvious he's a trumpet player. TheWife wanted the piano boogie/swing stuff. The clerk recommended a CD by a local artist who used to have his own jazz club, until the local Streets Dept. put a street through it. So I bought one because I believe in supporting local artists/businesses, especially when their business is under pavement I drive on.

Then I went to Wal-Mart for Guinea pig supplies. And I thought, no harm in looking. And sure enough, they had the soundtrack. So I bought it too. Gave them both to her when she got home. She was happy. No, no. No applause please, but thank you, thank you very much.

Before Christmas we had gotten a catalog in the mail from a hobbyshop in California. Probably because I subscribe to Fine Scale Modeler and my data got rented. Not that I minded this time. The catalog not only had plastic models, but train sets also. That was of great interest and delight to Train Boy.

He noticed the "Night Before Christmas Train." He has always wanted a Christmas train to run around the Christmas tree. Mfg list was $335.00, but on Special for $169.00. I didn't even bother asking TheWife, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

But it was a nice train set. A Bachman G Scale- good, and big. A steam locomotive with an elf holding a lamp sitting on the cow-catcher, Santa Claus and a couple more elfs, operating headlight, smoke out the stack, speed-synchronized sound, and a 5'x4' track oval that would be just fine for running under a tree. A train that would make a Train Boy happy for many years. But at $169 it wasn't going to happen.

But Saturday I needed to do something with Trainboy. Thinking they might have something more reasonably priced in a smaller scale available, we checked out their web site. Train Boy had a good time scoping out a lot more trains. And then, there it was. The Christmas Train. On seasonal close-out for $99. Train Boy was excited, so was I. But I told him we had to talk to his Mom first, because it was still a lot. And I told him I'd save it to "Favorites" so we could go right back to it.

Sunday after church he told Mommy he had something to show her on the internet. We got on-line, and he said, "Alright Dad, go to Favorites." Two clicks, and there it was again. Mommy said, "Nice train, but that's still a lot of money." End of discussion. But not the end of it.

Today I went back on-line and ordered that thing. I told TheWife later, she didn't mind. We agreed it will make a wonderful present for a Train Boy's birthday coming up. He'll be happy, and she still loves me.

But I haven't mentioned Ms. Pikachu yet. This is family, and no one gets left out. It's that Lilo & Stich "Ohanna" thing.


Since today was a legal holiday I was home, of course. We went to Ryan's for lunch. Eventually, Pikachu the Blonde needed to amuse herself. She put her mood ring on a string. Swinging it back and forth in front of my eyes she intoned, "you are getting sleepy, sleepy. You will win the lottery and give the money to me."

I sternly informed her I was becoming something, but I wouldn't describe it as as sleepy.

Again the ring was swung before me, this time with the dramatic command, "you are becomming irritated, irritated." What can I say, it didn't work again, I was laughing. She can always get me to laugh.

On days like today I feel embarrassingly rich.

No comments: