Tuesday, April 15, 2003

originally 12/25/00
Our first Christmas letter. What to say, what to say? It has been a typical year- often mundane, like getting haircuts, and filling vehicles with gas. With an occasional horrifying episode, like getting the house re-shingled and repainted. Home ownership, is the ultimate horror story. But it is tempered by what goes on under the roof and between the walls.

MsPikachu is bright, beautiful, talented, and wonderful. TrainBoy is all boy, if it’s mechanical, he likes it. And he has the most pleasing personality- my Wonder Boy. TheWife is still a terrific nurse, and a wonderful mother. Yep, they’re all wonderful.

Therein lies the temptation with these letters- the temptation to gloat. So let’s just get it out of our systems, nothing like binging and purging to do a body good-
“We decided to summer in Europe this past year. We wanted to expose ourselves to different cultures to make us even better than we are. We visited Rome and were amazed at the art, architecture, and the poor plumbing. God bless America, and its plumbing! And speaking of God, the Pope saw us walking arm-in-arm and was so touched He asked us to visit him. Later, at our private audience, he was so moved by our love he proclaimed us both saints and held a special mass in our honor. It really was special, considering we aren’t Catholic. However, after the wife was finished witnessing her faith, I daresay, the Pope is now a Baptist.” Alright, enough of that. And just to be clear on this, neither one of us have ever been to Europe. But from what I hear, their plumbing really is terrible. They don’t need our money, they need Home Depot. There are other ways of being just as bad- like brutal honesty. But the wife thought my illustration was a little over the top, so I accept on faith that you know what I mean.

So, MsPikachu is in 3rd grade, and tested out at the 6th grade level. TrainBoy is such a joy I only hope he got some of his personality from me. TheWife, MsPikachu and I are all taking piano lessons. MsPikachu is gifted, and she gets it from her mother. My abilities are more in line with my humble attitude. And there you have it. When you write about the people you love, the writer’s pride can overwhelm his sensibilities, and the readers’. But I love them all and couldn’t be more proud. So shoot me.
on behalf of the clan

No comments: