Friday, May 23, 2003

http://publicserf.blogspot.com
Whine at me: publicserf@yahoo.com

What's in the CD player:
You see that fairly frequently in web logs. If you're interested, and you're going to find out anyway- I just finished Al Stewart's greatest hits album, and put on a Carpenters CD. Sure, I could lie, the Carpenters aren't cool. Even when they were popular it was hip to hate them. But I don't care, Karen Carpenter had a beautiful voice, no excuses are needed for listening to it. The Carpenters were often mocked for being wholesome but never came across as bitter at that, they just seemed to be grateful for their success.

May I contrast that with someone else? Like say, Bono? Not Sonny, he's dead, so we don't speak ill of him. I wouldn't anyway, I liked Sonny, he couldn't sing worth spit, but he was likeable. Nope, this is not about Sonny, this is about the other Bono, the GODHEAD OF U2. But you knew that.

When U2 first appeared the music world gasped like they'd witnessed the birth of a new messiah. The two most well-known members are, of course, Bono, and The Edge. Bono was the brooding hunk. Women loved it. When women VJ's on MTV just mentioned the name Bono they couldn't resist smiling. You could almost hear the egg splashing. Alright, I was envious, what guy wouldn't be. Maybe George Michael?

The other-mentioned member - The Edge. If that name isn't pretentious there isn't one that is. Forgive me for not tracking down the exact quote, during interviews for one of their albums The Edge said he had to invent something like 27 new ways of picking a guitar. It says something of the band's status as the critics' darling that he wasn't laughed out of the business. But back to Bono.

I remember seeing an awards shows where U2 won an award. Bono accepted and made some self-indulgent spiel about how they would continue to "f-ck up the mainstream." U2. That had to be one of the most meaningless, posing, statements ever uttered at a meaningless, posing awards show. What "mainstream" was he trying to f-ck up? Music? Couldn't be. U2's album sales to mainstream kids would have to plant them firmly in the mainstream.

Could it be some social protest? That wouldn't make much sense. When was the last time these guys rode coach? When was the last time they ate at a fast-food place. When was the last time they stood in line and waited for anything? Do they ever even have to clean up after themselves?

Their money and their lifestyles place them outside of any mainstream, that's for sure. It does place them with that group they would never admit to belonging with- suits, but their suit is the posing rebel's. You can be pretty sure they don't buy their rebel uniforms off the rack where the lowly mainstream workers do. For these guys the mainstream is nothing but a distant memory.

They're rich and get richer every time the genuflecting fans lay their money down for the latest offering from on high. I don't begrudge them their money, if they put out a product and people buy it they're entitled to it. That makes them rich sneering capitalists with guitars. How rebellious. Rebellion is just a marketing tool. Look at me, love me, adore me, give me your money, for I am a rebel. No, I don't own any U2 product. I'd only pick it up if I saw it in a bargain bin. I have no desire to finance their sneers.

This could have been a lot nastier piece. But, again, I'm listening to the Carpenters. How am I supposed to maintain an edge while listening to "Touch Me When We're Dancing?" Only a sadist could. Love it, love it, love it. Maybe there could be Mideast peace by playing "Let Me Be the One" on al Jazeera. We just need to move the Palestinians into the mainstream.

What's next on the CD play list? Beatles.

the Publicserf




No comments: