Sunday, June 08, 2003

http://publicserf.blogspot.com
Whine at me: publicserf@yahoo.com

It was a baptism Sunday at church. The Wife is a deaconess, and was scheduled to help with the baptisms. Some of those wanting to be baptized were rather young kids. She had them all ready in their robes when one of the young girls announced she had to go potty, and asked if she could just relieve herself in the baptistry. "They'll be singing a song between now and when the baptisms start, we can all go to the bathroom." And away they went. At least the kid asked first.

After church we went to the wife's company picnic. It was held in the country at one of those pioneer village recreations. We parked, it was sprinkling. We have no umbrellas. Are you sure you want to get wet just for free food? Cheap Wife said yes. Cheap Wife will put up with a lot for something free. It was going to be a good walk to the village from the parking area.

There was a small tractor pulling a hayrack with benches on it. By the time we got to it, it was full. Stand there waiting for the next tractor and get wet, or start walking? Action is better, we started walking. We weren't much slower than the tractor. About the time we got halfway there it turned into a deluge. Are you sure free food is worth this? She was sure, she was resolute, she was enjoying getting wet. So were the kids. I tried to play my role as spoilsport, but it wasn't cold, it was just wet, lot's of wet.

Ms. Pikachu complained her feet were wet. It's raining, that's to be expected. "But it's coming through my shoes!" One more time, it's raining, you're walking on wet ground, it's to be expected. "Then can I role around in the mud?" I'm soaked myself, don't push it.

We got to the tents and got our food. It was standard picnic fare- hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans and a few others. It wasn't bad, quite acceptable actually. After I finished eating I kept ogling the wife. I can't help it, I'm still quite smitten. Ms. Pikachu reached over and put her hand in front of my eyes, "Stop that, break contact!" I told her that someday she'd bring a boyfriend home and I'd do the same thing to her. She laughed. I kept ogling, she kept doing it. She finds herself quite amusing, it doesn't help that I laugh too.

We wandered the grounds a little to see what entertainment was available. The kids didn't want to go on any rides- spoilsports, where do they get that? Ms. Pikachu declared herself thirsty, walked over to get under the edge of a tent, tilted her head back and drank the water running off. The guy manning the drink coolers looked at her incredulously. I told him she was kind of special. He laughed. In the next day or so we shall see if tent drippings make you ill.

On our way out we stopped at the saloon. Ms. Pikachu and Trainboy each got a long-neck. The barkeep even unscrewed the caps for them, just like the old west. It's like a time machine I tell you. Trainboy announced he wanted to get drunk from his (root) beer. Where does he get this, he's never seen the wife or me drink alcohol? I'll have to watch Cartoon Network a little more closely. Ms. Pikachu made no similar aspirations for her sarsparilla. Who could have told the difference anyway?

Would I willingly walk through the rain for the food again? That would be a no. But for doing something the kids will probably always remember with a laugh, that would be a yes.

Publicserf
-

No comments: