Wednesday, July 23, 2003

We watched ‘Roman Holiday,’ with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. It’s wholesome, it’s fun. One of the girls who live next door came over and watched it. Everybody loves it. It’s a movie that can be watched more than once.

We’ve also recently watched “Harvey” with Jimmy Stewart. The wife has been checking out a lot of Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart films lately. They’re all terrific.

It’s always a temptation to say they don’t make ‘em like they used to. Technically that’s certainly correct because they’ve all been black and white. But they’ve all been so good they’re timeless- 50 year-old films and they still entertain adults and kids.

I’d always liked Jimmy Stewart. He was wonderful in ‘Harvey’ and ‘It’s a Wonderful Life.’ He flew B-17’s in Europe during WW2. He walked the walk, you couldn’t help but enjoy him for his films and admire him for his service.

I’d always liked Gregory Peck for ‘12 O’clock High.’ Seeing him in ‘Roman Holiday’ and ‘The Yearling’ I like him even more. Better late than never, I guess.

It would be tempting to say they were irreplaceable, but no one ever is. For example, Tom Hanks has done some amazing stuff. Just for fun there was ‘Big’ and ‘That Thing You Do.’ Nope, nobody is irreplaceable, but the loss is still a loss. The more of their movies I see the greater the loss becomes though. And when I snuggle with the wife and watch a movie a kiss is still a kiss. When I laugh with the kids a smile is still a smile.

Harvey
Big
ThatThingYouDo

http://publicserf.blogspot.com
Whine at me: publicserf@yahoo.com

No comments: